Though not productive in numbers, I did well today. Very well, it feels like.
I started out with 451 words written last year, background on characters, two of which are only hints in this first novel. I had to change a few things built into their characters, the magical abilities and predilections. As I finally built the bones of the magical system, now I have rules in which to play, thank goodness. Rules set limitations and limitations add stress, risk and reliability, to name a few things. The also, most importantly, provide conflict and a world in which your reader can become accustomed.
So I went down to 326 words, then began building the characters up through their characteristics, physical looks, magical traits as well as natural, non-magical but still paranormal traits. I built up a little bit of the past as well and started integrating the character whose background I needed to build in order to gather the motivation of the villain (you can see where I figured out what I needed while backtracking through what I didn’t have in Not Quite a Fail). So I’m getting there.
Considering the research I had to do, the berserker kittens that went insane and cost me about 7 minutes of writing and the 5 minute coffee break, I did well. With 48 minutes I ended up with 1255 words, 929 of them new. I ended up with images of two of the characters homes and a bit of research done to indicate what elements each character (past) would focus on. There was also a lot of sitting and thinking, trying to figure out just how these characters differed and how their home lives would effect their choices. I’m not done but I’d like to think I’m halfway or more there. Then onto the victim’s backstory. I just need to get my MC’s family tree open and it’s with a program I originally only had a trial of, argh. I could have sworn I had purchased it.
I might write more today, but I do also have commissions nearing their deadline and these need to get finished (for the smaller ones) and worked on (for the paintings).